Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Journaling

ME & JOURNALING

A couple of months ago, I joined in a yahoo group that uses composition journals as their basis for artistic journaling. Over the last few years I have taken various journaling classes but have never felt compelled to actually start something that would be meaningful to me.



As I am aging (62?!) and memory is growing weak, once again I've turned to journaling to create art & note both the sublime & the banal of my daily, weekly, monthly? doings. I've picked up lots of journaling tips and connections to many wonderful supplies & blogs but still haven't felt much direction. I've recently joined Soul Journaling yahoo group created by Sarah Whitmire and am in the process of creating pages based on her 22 intial prompts from http://www.caspiana.com/. One of the first ones was to create a page symbolic of a great protector to protect me from outside & inside critics as I create my art. I included the face of my maternal grandmother at age 15. She always seemed to be reserved & stoic. I figured she'd be good at warding off unpleasantness. This is my complete page:



The other page was created as a way to "claim" my journal and to express both negative and positive things about my art, my life, etc. We covered up these writings as, for me, a way to cast out what's come before and move on to more positive thinking. We decorated the page with multi colors and fonts so that "anybody" picking up our book would know without a doubt who the journal belongs to.
There's a somewhat new art form called "inchies", the premise being to create art in a tiny format of one inch. These are then exchanged in yahoo groups, Art festivals, etc. So our next exercise involved cutting one inch squares from magazines according to a 24-item list, arranging in a pleasing manner to see if any themes or stories emerge. I have to confess this is not in my comfort zone so mine are placed rather randomly.




Our next task was to paint over or age the page and draw different markings around some of the inchies and add eight words describing my pictures. Sarah's philosophy is that no page is ever really done so I may be back at this one.




The next 2 pages were an exercise in creating interesting backgrounds using various types of tapes: bright orange ducktape, silver duct tape, a couple colors of masking tape, etc. We were supposed to write & fill both pages with "I forgot to tell you..." secrets, sayings but I 'forgot'. So my pages are just paint, tape & sanding.


That's all for today. I'll add more photos when finished.

1 comment:

teri said...

Hi Laura,
I loved visiting your blog!
xo-teri
soul journaling